Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Getting Married in Thailand


If you get married in Thailand, your marriage is legally valid only when you register it with the civil registrar at district office ("Amphur" in Thai).  This is true whether or not you have a wedding ceremony.  If you want your spouse to have the legal rights of a spouse (including rights of inheritance), you must register your marriage.  Registered Thai marriages are valid for most U.S. purposes, including immigration.

Before you can register your marriage, however, the civil registrar will require that you get from your Embassy or Consulate a document establishing your eligibility to marry.  We can provide a document that has all of the information required by Thai law for you to get married.


1. Get an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry. 

  • Make an appointment at the Consulate for “notarial and other services.”
  • Download the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form (PDF, 42 KB).  Please complete items 1-9, but do not sign it.  When filling in the form, please write your name exactly as it appears on the photo page of your U.S. passport. 
  • At your appointment time, come to the Consulate to execute the completed affidavit.  There is a $50.00 fee for this.  You may pay in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Thai baht.  Also, we accept most major credit cards.

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the U.S. or Thailand, you might have to get a similar affidavit or other document from his or her Embassy.  Check with that Embassy. 

2.  Have It Translated.  Get a certified translation of the executed affidavit.  You can find lists of translators on our Professional Services page. 

3.  Have It Legalized.  Take the affidavit and translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Legalization Division to have them “legalized.”  They have offices in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.  This process might take several days, and there will be a fee.  Contact: 

In Chiang Mai:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building
Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek
A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000
Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

In Bangkok:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
123 Chaeng Wattana Road, 3rd Floor
Tung Song Hong, Laksi, Bangkok
Tel.: 02-575-1056 or 02-575-1057

 We recommend that you call ahead to confirm the operating hours and the fee, as these may change.  Also, some translation shops can take care of this step for an additional fee. 

4.  Register Your Marriage.  With your fiancé(e), go to the civil registrar office in the Amphur where you reside.  In addition to the legalized affidavit and translation, you will need: 

  • Your U.S. passport
  • Government-issued identification for your fiancé(e), such as a passport or national ID card.
  • If you or your fiancé(e) is under age twenty: Written consent of the parents.  If this is not in Thai, you also should bring a certified translation. 
  • If you or your fiancé(e) was previously married to someone else: Original, government-issued document showing that the marriage ended, such as a death certificate, divorce certificate, or court decree.  If this is not in Thai, you also should bring a certified translation.