Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Travel Alert for Thailand - June 20, 2014

World Wide Caution - April 10, 2014

Information on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and U.S. Citizens Abroad

Travel Alert: Thailand

June 20, 2014

The U.S. Department of State reminds U.S. citizens to be alert to the current political and security environment in Thailand under martial law. On May 22, the Royal Thai Army seized control of Thailand’s administration under the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and imposed a nationwide night time curfew. On June 13, the NCPO lifted the curfew, but authorities have cautioned it could be reinstated. Martial law remains in effect throughout Thailand. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on May 28, 2014, to reflect the lifting of the Thailand-wide curfew. This Travel Alert will expire on August 21, 2014.

Be aware that under martial law the governing NCPO has considerable security powers. These powers grant the NCPO the authority to prevent public gatherings, restrict media, set up checkpoints, and search for weapons. Individuals have been detained for publicly criticizing Thailand’s military takeover, the NCPO, and the Thai monarchy. Security operations against possible demonstrations have led to traffic disruptions as well as temporary closures of some public transport services, and restriction of access to some areas around major shopping and hotel districts in central Bangkok.

U.S. citizens may encounter a heightened security, including military, presence throughout Thailand, particularly in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. U.S citizens are cautioned to avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Although many protest activities have been peaceful, violent incidents involving guns and explosive devices have occurred at or near protest sites. Some resulted in injury or death. Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local and international news media reports. You should allow extra time when travelling thought the city or to/from airports.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.

Unless otherwise indicated in a public announcement, the U.S. Embassy is open for all routine American Citizens Services by appointment. U.S. citizens needing emergency assistance do not need an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing The Embassy's after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai, is also open unless otherwise indicated. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok's American Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.

Current information on safety and security can also be obtained on our Bureau of Consular Affairs website or by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand Stay up to date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook as well.


The Consulate’s U.S. Citizen Services unit provides a range of services and information to U.S. citizens living and traveling in northern Thailand. The most common services we provide are listed both below and to the left. Emergency contact information is listed to the right. If you do not find what you are looking for from the links below, please check the A to Z link to the left.

  • Emergency Assistance.  To report the death, arrest, or serious illness or injury of a U.S. citizen in Northern Thailand.   
  • Birth of a U.S. Citizen.  How to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first U.S. passport for your new baby.  
  • Death of a U.S. Citizen.  A death in the family is harder when it happens so far away.  Here’s what to expect when a U.S. citizen dies in Thailand.
  • Federal Benefits.  We can help you access benefits provided by the Social Security Administration, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), or other agencies.  
  • Getting Married.  If you get married in Thailand, here’s what you need to do to make it legal.
  • Legal Matters and Arrest.  Information on Thai legal procedure, including information about immigration violations.
  • Notary Services.  The Consulate provides services similar to those of a notary public in the United States.  We also provide documents that you might need for Thai immigration or to get a Thai driver’s license.
  • Passport Services.  How to apply for your first U.S. passport, renew your expiring U.S. passport, or replace a lost or stolen U.S. passport.  Or, you can Add More Pages to your valid U.S. passport
  • Professional Services.  Though we offer many services at the Consulate, there are some things we can’t do.  Here’s where to find a doctor, a lawyer, a mailing service, or a translator.   
  • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  Let us know that you’re here!  Signing up for STEP allows us to contact you in an emergency or share information in a crisis.  
  • Safety and Security.  Important information for U.S. citizens living and traveling in Thailand.
  • Taxes.  Information on U.S. federal tax matters, including how to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). 
  • Thai Visas.  Information about Thai visas for U.S. citizens, including retirement visas.
  • Voting Assistance.  Though you’re outside the U.S., you still can vote in U.S. elections.  Here’s how to register and vote absentee.

To provide consistent and equitable service to the many U.S. citizens who live in and visit northern Thailand, we use an appointment system for all of the non-emergency services listed above.  To make an appointment, please visit our ACS Appointment page.

Can’t find what you need on our website?  Contact us:


  • Emergencies During Office Hours
    7:30 a.m. to noon.  1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Calling from inside Thailand: 053-107-777
    Calling from U.S.:  011-66-53-107-777
    Calling from other countries outside Thailand:

    Emergencies After Office Hours or on Weekends / Holidays (Thai and U.S.)
    Calling from inside Thailand:  081-881-1878 (Duty Officer)
    Calling from the U.S.: 011-66-81-881-1878 (Duty Officer)
    Calling from other countries outside Thailand:
      +66-81-881-1878 (Duty Officer)

    If unable to reach the Chiang Mai duty officer after hours, call Embassy Bangkok:
    Calling from inside Thailand: 02-205-4000
    Calling from U.S.:  011-66-2-205-4000
    Calling from other countries outside Thailand:

    These phone numbers are not for visa inquiries. Please reserve these numbers for true emergencies only.  If you call about a situation that is not an emergency, we will ask you to contact us via the non-emergency methods below.

    Location: U.S. Consulate General, Chiang Mai, 387 Wichayanond Road, T. Changmoi, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50300 THAILAND

    The Consulate is located approximately 3 blocks east of the northeast Corner of the moat around the old city, on the west bank of the Ping River, and directly across from the Chiang Mai Municipal Building. The entrance for U.S. Citizens is on the north side of the Consulate.

    FOR NON-EMERGENCY U.S. CITIZEN SERVICES: We handle routine services, such as passport services, notarials, and federal benefits inquiries, by appointment only, on Tuesday and Thursday.  Please visit our ACS Appointments page to make an appointment for non-emergency services.  Also, please visit our Services and Information page to review the application procedures and fees for routine services.

    FOR NON-EMERGENCY U.S. CITIZEN SERVICE INQUIRIES: You may email us at  Before doing so, however, please visit our Services and Information page.  The answer to your question might already be there.

    For additional information, please see the links to the left, or the A-Z information tab to the far left.